DT is a standard term among my friends. It stands for “delicious treats.” Naturally, I thought DTs were in order for our big, highly-anticipated reunion. I knew that we were covered for pretty much everything. My concern was chocolate, and the combo of pretzels and peanut butter seemed to be a perfect pairing.
The night before leaving, I went to Mary Grace’s apartment in the Upper East Side for some extra help to assemble the chocolate pb sandies. Because we anticipated upwards of 15 people for the weekend, we doubled the recipe. However, for a weekend filled with chips, burgers, and hot dogs, one batch would have been sufficient. (Don’t underestimate how hearty these little DTs can be!)
The recipe is very easy. It is a bit time consuming, so make them on a night where you don’t have too much going on. The tastiness of these DTs, however, makes up for any of the hassle.
I stole this recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Sunday Treats. Enjoy!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel DTs
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoons butter, room temperature
2/3 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup tightly packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pretzels (the grid shaped ones, such as Snyder’s Pretzel Snaps, work well)
1 teaspoon coconut oil (to thin chocolate)
- In a small bowl, beat the peanut butter and butter together until smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract and beat until well combined. If mixture is not stiff enough to hold its shape, add more powdered sugar and/or brown sugar.
- Using a small offset spatula or butter knife, spoon approximately one teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture onto a pretzel. Top with another pretzel, and gently squish to form sandwich. Place on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper and repeat with rest of peanut butter mixture.
- Freeze the pretzel sandwiches for half an hour.
- Melt the chocolate chips in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, or use a double boiler. Stir in the coconut oil (this thins the chocolate for easier dipping).
- Dip half of each pretzel sandwich in chocolate. Place the cookie sheet in the fridge and chill until chocolate sets. Store in refrigerator until serving time.